Malaysia fg = Fraser's Hill (FH) & The Gap - hill forest (29 Nov - 2 Dec)
Malaysia pa = Panti and surr. - lowland forest (16-19 Dec)
Vietnam ct = Cat Tien - lowland forest (3-8 Dec)
Vietnam dl = Da Lat plateau incl. Di Linh - hill forest (8-14 Dec)
(h) = heard only
* = lifer (77; seen)
NT = Near-threatened species (17)
EN = Endangered species (2)
A narrower species list for your smartphone is here.
Rufous-throated Partridge dl(h) Arborophila rufogularis
Bar-backed Partridge dl(h) Arborophila brunneopectus
Green-legged (Scaly-brstd) Partr ct(h) Arborophila chloropus
Red Junglefowl ct Gallus gallus
* Silver Pheasant dl Lophura nycthemera - Ho Tuyen Lam 2 fem. type, possibly just the tail end of a group.
* NT Siamese Fireback ct Lophura diardi - at 1 km before Croc. Lake, pair at 15 m after they crossed our trail.
* NT Germain's Peacock-Pheasant ct Polyplectron germaini - at 6.35 am along first km of Bau Sau trail, in dense bush R.
Green Peafowl ct(h) Pavo muticus - heard from platform Crocodile Lake.
Lesser Whistling Duck ct Dendrocygna javanica
Little Grebe dl Tachybaptus ruficollis
Woolly-necked Stork ct Ciconia episcopus - border of Croc. Lake.
Chinese Pond Heron ct? Ardeola bacchus - in winter inseparable from JavanPH (hence'?'), but Chinese breeding here.
Western Cattle Egret ct Bubulcus ibis
Grey Heron ct Ardea cinerea
Purple Heron ct Ardea purpurea
Western Great Egret ct Ardea alba
Crested (Oriental) Honey Buzzard ct Pernis ptilorhynchus
Black-winged Kite dl Elanus caeruleus - a few between Da Lat and Bidoup NP.
White-bellied Sea Eagle pa Haliaeetus leucogaster - viewed from the terrace of Sutera resort
* NT Grey-headed Fish Eagle ct Ichthyophaga ichthyaetus - at border of Croc. Lake, in flight and resting.
Crested Serpent Eagle pa Spilornis cheela -
Crested Goshawk ct,dl Accipiter trivirgatus - 3 in display flight above Cat Tien H.Rapids track.
Besra dl? Accipiter virgatus - chasing a Black Bulbul (rounded wings).
* Grey-faced Buzzard dl Butastur indicus - near 2nd camp Ho Tuyen Lam, in flight closeby.
Black Eagle dl Ictinaetus malayensis - soaring above Bidoup NP.
Crested (Changeable) Hawk-Eagle pa dl? Nisaetus cirrhatus - viewed from the terrace of Sutera resort
Mountain Hawk-Eagle dl Nisaetus nipalensis - pair in Ta Nung valley.
Purple Swamphen ct Porphyrio porphyrio
Red-wattled Lapwing ct Vanellus indicus
Bronze-winged Jacana ct Metopidius indicus
Common Snipe dl Gallinago gallinago - in basin between Da Lat and Bidoup NP.
Swift Tern pa Thalasseus bergii - viewed from the terrace of Sutera resort
Red Turtle (Collared) Dove ct Streptopelia tranquebarica
Spotted Dove dl Stigmatopelia chinensis - common.
* Barred Cuckoo-Dove fg Macropygia unchall - Telekom loop late afternoon, half in the mist 1 pair below us.
Little Cuckoo-Dove fg Macropygia ruficeps - near the Gap in bamboo.
Zebra Dove fg Geopelia striata (former Peaceful Dove)
* Little Green Pigeon pa Treron olax - group foraging at low fruiting tree at P at start of Bunker Track.
* Thick-billed Green Pigeon ct Treron curvirostra - concrete track near HQ in sun, red bill base well visible for both.
Mountain Imperial Pigeon fg dl Ducula badia - remarkably common near Da Lat.
Vernal Hanging Parrot ct Loriculus vernalis
Red-breasted Parakeet ct Psittacula alexandri - 3 in tall tree at end of H.Rapids trail
Greater Coucal ct Centropus sinensis
Lesser Coucal fg Centropus bengalensis
NT Chestnut-bellied Malkoha pa Phaenicophaeus sumatranus - just before entering the slashed area at c. Km 8 Bunker track
NT Black-bellied Malkoha pa Phaenicophaeus diardi - at 12 m at c. 5 km along Bunker track.
Green-billed Malkoha fg ct,dl Phaenicophaeus tristis - commonly seen in mixed flocks.
Violet Cuckoo pa Chrysococcyx xanthorhynchus - the only bird of the trip we could only ID with scope
Plaintive Cuckoo ct Cacomantis merulinus - at N end of park, open area (jeep ride)
Oriental Cuckoo fg Cuculus optatus
Collared Owlet fg(h) dl(h) Glaucidium brodiei
Asian Barred Owlet ct(h) Glaucidium cuculoides
Brown Hawk-Owl ct Ninox scutulata - at street light near HQ restaurant.
Malaysian Eared Nightjar pa Eurostopodus temminckii
* Great Eared Nightjar ct Eurostopodus macrotis - every evening near HQ area.
Large-tailed Nightjar pa Caprimulgus macrurus - sev. near entrance of Sutera resort, heard and seen.
Grey-rumped Treeswift fg Hemiprocne longipennis - c. 10 at c. Km 29 along rd Gap to KKB.
Whiskered Treeswift pa Hemiprocne comata - 3 at c. 5 km along Bunker track.
Glossy Swiftlet fg Collocalia esculenta
Black-nest Swiftlet fg? Aerodramus maximus
Orange-breasted Trogon ct Harpactes oreskios
Red-headed Trogon dl Harpactes erythrocephalus
Indian Roller ct,dl Coracias benghalensis
Oriental Dollarbird ct Eurystomus orientalis
White-throated Kingfisher ct Halcyon smyrnensis
Collared Kingfisher pa Todiramphus chloris - on tidal rocks below resort.
Common Kingfisher ct,dl Alcedo atthis
Red-bearded Bee-eater pa(h) Nyctyornis amictus
Blue-tailed Bee-eater fg ct Merops philippinus
Chestnut-headed Bee-eater ct Merops leschenaulti - at N end of park, open area (jeep ride)
Eurasian Hoopoe dl Upupa epops - in open area on our way to Bidoup NP.
Oriental Pied Hornbill ct Anthracoceros albirostris
Wreathed Hornbill fg ct Rhyticeros undulatus - near the waterfall of FH
Fire-tufted Barbet fg Psilopogon pyrolophus - Telekom loop FH
NT Red-crowned Barbet pa Megalaima rafflesii - splendid close view, foraging, photographed by Hong Kong group.
Black-browed Barbet fg Megalaima oorti
* Annam (Black-browed) Barbet dl Megalaima (oorti) annamensis - group of 7 forag. above us low in Ta Nung; best at Falls.
Blue-eared Barbet ct Megalaima australis - in tall tree H.Rapids track, special call (new for xeno-canto)
Coppersmith Barbet ct(h) Megalaima haemacephala
* Brown Barbet pa Caloramphus fuliginosus - at fruiting tree along side road R, at plantation.
Speckled Piculet fg Picumnus innominatus
* White-browed Piculet ct Sasia ochracea - close view along H. Rapids track, near falls.
Grey-capped Pygmy Woodpecker dl Dendrocopos canicapillus - at start of Ho Tuyen Lam pine woodland.
* Crimson-winged Woodpecker pa Picus puniceus - high in canopy along Bunker track.
Checker-throated Woodpecker pa Picus mentalis - sev. seen well from Bunker track, 3 closeby at c. Km 5.
Greater Yellownape fg Picus flavinucha
Laced Woodpecker ct Picus vittatus
Grey-headed Woodpecker dl Picus canus
Greater Goldenback (Flameback) ct Chrysocolaptes lucidus
* Bay Woodpecker ct,dl Blythipicus pyrrhotis - best at Di Linh forest, along road.
Buff-rumped Woodpecker fg Meiglyptes tristis - Old Road FH, halfway.
* Grey-and-buff Woodpecker pa Hemicircus concretus - in dead tree R along Bunker track.
* Heart-spotted Woodpecker ct Hemicircus canente - family of 3 at small dead tree near end of Heav. Rapids track.
Black-and-red Broadbill ct Cymbirhynchus macrorhynchos - 1 p. at 7 m along H.Rapids track.
Long-tailed Broadbill dl Psarisomus dalhousiae - group of 15-20 in Ta Nung valley.
* Banded Broadbill pa(h) ct Eurylaimus javanicus - H. Rapids track 2-3 close views on thin branches above track.
* Bar-bellied Pitta ct Pitta elliotii - our first pitta ever (sic), at 1 km before Croc. Lake at 20 m.
Bar-winged Flycatcher-shrike fg dl Hemipus picatus
Black-winged Flycatcher-shrike pa Hemipus hirundinaceus
* Large Woodshrike dl Tephrodornis virgatus - active group high in pines Ho Tuyen Lam.
* NT Green Iora pa Aegithina viridissima - in flock rather high in open cecropia-like tree.
* Great Iora ct Aegithina lafresnayei - H. Rapids track 7 m above us, seen well.
* Bar-bellied Cuckooshrike pa Coracina striata - 2 loud calling in canopy at open forest along stream end BunkerTrack.
* Swinhoe's Minivet ct Pericrocotus cantonensis - H. Rapids track c. 3.
Grey-chinned Minivet fg dl Pericrocotus solaris
Long-tailed Minivet dl Pericrocotus ethologus
Brown Shrike ct Lanius cristatus - several when driving from Cat Tien.
Burmese Shrike dl Lanius collurioides - common in open areas Da Lat plateau.
White-bellied Erpornis (Yuhina) fg,pa dl Erpornis zantholeuca
White-browed Shrike-Babbler dl Pteruthius flaviscapis - in mixed flock Bidoup NP.
Black-eared Shrike-Babbler fg Pteruthius melanotis - Lady Maxwell rd FH.
* Chestnut-fronted Shrike-Babbler dl Pteruthius aenobarbus - male and female in mixed flock Bidoup NP.
NT Dark-throated Oriole pa Oriolus xanthonotus - male closeby along Bunker track.
Slender-billed Oriole dl Oriolus tenuirostris - sev. in Ho Tuyen Lam woodland.
Black-naped Oriole fg ct Oriolus chinensis
Maroon Oriole dl Oriolus traillii
Ashy Drongo ct,dl Dicrurus leucophaeus
* Crow-billed Drongo fg Dicrurus annectans - while waiting at The Gap, c. 300 m towards Raub.
Bronzed Drongo fg ct Dicrurus aeneus
Lesser Racket-tailed Drongo fg ct,dl Dicrurus remifer
Greater Racket-tailed Drongo fg,pa ct Dicrurus paradiseus
White-throated Fantail fg dl Rhipidura albicollis
Black-naped Monarch fg,pa ct Hypothymis azurea
Asian Paradise Flycatcher fg ct Terpsiphone paradisi
* NT Japanese Paradise Flycatcher dl Terpsiphone atrocaudata - 2nd record for South Annam! Ta Nung valley, with LtBroadbills.
Eurasian Jay dl Garrulus glandarius
Common Green Magpie fg Cissa chinensis
* Indochinese Green Magpie dl Cissa hypoleuca - excellent view inside Di Linh forest along steep trail.
* Racket-tailed Treepie ct Crypsirina temia - first late afternoon along concrete track close to HQ.
Large-billed Crow dl Corvus macrorhynchos
* NT Malaysian Rail-babbler pa Eupetes macrocerus - splendid views at just 3 m close to Bunker track.
Grey-headed Canary-Flycatcher dl Culicicapa ceylonensis
Green-backed Tit dl Parus monticolus
Yellow-cheeked Tit dl Parus spilonotus - in mixed flock Bidoup NP.
Sultan Tit fg Melanochlora sultanea - 1 km before waterfall
Black-headed Bulbul pa Pycnonotus atriceps - calling from treetop, sound-checked at the spot.
Black-capped Bulbul ct,dl Pycnonotus melanicterus
Black-crested Bulbul fg Pycnonotus flaviventris
NT Grey-bellied Bulbul pa Pycnonotus cyaniventris - spelndid views in mixed flock Bunker track.
Red-whiskered Bulbul ct,dl Pycnonotus jocosus
Sooty-headed Bulbul dl Pycnonotus aurigaster - group at border of Bidoup NP.
Stripe-throated Bulbul fg ct Pycnonotus finlaysoni - e.g. open area near waterfall FH
Flavescent Bulbul dl Pycnonotus flavescens - 4 at Di Linh at road shoulder.
Yellow-vented Bulbul fg Pycnonotus goiavier
Olive-winged Bulbul pa Pycnonotus plumosus - well seen along Bunker track (rail-babbler spot).
* Cream-vented Bulbul pa Pycnonotus simplex - along Bunker track, sev. on branches, not high.
Asian Red-eyed Bulbul pa Pycnonotus brunneus - group low in bushes along Bunker track.
Ochraceous Bulbul fg ct,dl Alophoixus ochraceus - common.
* Grey-cheeked Bulbul pa Alophoixus bres - 2 together on small branch along Bunker track.
Hairy-backed Bulbul pa Tricholestes criniger - 2-3 at side track, pecking at leaves, hovering.
* Grey-eyed Bulbul ct,dl Iole propinqua - once seen well, a common bird esp. at Cat Tien.
Mountain Bulbul fg dl Ixos mcclellandii - group Telekom loop FH; group inside forest of Ta Nung valley bottom.
Ashy Bulbul dl Hemixos flavala - e.g. group in Ta Nung valley.
* Cinereous Bulbul pa Hemixos cinereus - split from Ashy, 2 or more in mixed flock along Bunker track.
Black Bulbul dl Hypsipetes leucocephalus - sev. Ta Nung valley and elsewhere.
Barn Swallow ct Hirundo rustica
Pacific Swallow fg Hirundo tahitica
Red-rumped Swallow fg Cecropis daurica
* Grey-bellied Tesia dl Tesia cyaniventer - well seen closeby in bush near stream Ta Nung valley.
Yellow-bellied Warbler fg ct Abroscopus superciliaris
Mountain Tailorbird fg dl Phyllergates cucullatus
*Grey-capped (Blck-thrtd) Bushtit dl Aegithalos (concinnus) annamensis - sev. small groups.
Ashy-throated Warbler dl Phylloscopus maculipennis - well seen at Bidoup NP
Yellow-browed Warbler fg ct,dl Phylloscopus inornatus - very common FH and CT
Arctic Warbler fg Phylloscopus borealis
* Two-barred Warbler ct,dl Phylloscopus plumbeitarsus - concrete track near HQ half-open forest with bamboo.
Eastern Crowned Warbler fg Phylloscopus coronatus
*Davison's(White-tld)Leaf Warbler dl Phylloscopus davisoni - singing at Di Linh forest.
* Plain-tailed Warbler dl Seicercus soror - at 5 m in ta Nung valley, above trail, unbroken yellow eye-ring.
Chestnut-crowned Warbler fg Seicercus castaniceps
Benguet (Russet) Bush Warbler dl? Bradypterus seebohmi
* Brown Prinia dl Prinia polychroa - in rich undergrowth Ho Tuyen Lam pine forest, singing.
* Black-throated (Hill) Prinia dl Prinia atrogularis - in bush along trail Ta Nung valley.
Common Tailorbird fg ct Orthotomus sutorius
Dark-necked Tailorbird fg(h) Orthotomus atrogularis
* Rufous-tailed Tailorbird pa Orthotomus sericeus - easily taped out along Bunker track.
Ashy Tailorbird ct Orthotomus ruficeps
Puff-throated Babbler ct Pellorneum ruficeps - near HQ
* Buff-breasted Babbler ct Pellorneum tickelli - 2 closeby together with Scaly-cr Babblers.
Scaly-crowned Babbler ct Malacopteron cinereum
* Red-billed Scimitar Babbler dl Pomatorhinus ochraceiceps - found along steep trail inside Di Linh forest, red bill.
* Marbled Wren-Babbler fg Napothera marmorata - very close encounter along road from Gap to KKB (c. Km 29).
Streaked Wren-Babbler fg Napothera brevicaudata
* Eyebrowed Wren-Babbler ct Napothera epilepidota - on ground in undergrowth at only 3 m.
* Rufous-capped Babbler dl Stachyris ruficeps - 1 like mice going through lianas, with song, Bidoup NP.
Golden Babbler fg Stachyris chrysaea - e.g. Mager rd FH
* Grey-throated Babbler dl Stachyris nigriceps - in bush at 8 m in Ta Nung valley.
* Grey-headed Babbler pa Stachyris poliocephala - 2 foraging near ground small side trail L.
Grey-faced Tit-Babbler ct(h) Macronus kelleyi
* NT Fluffy-backed Tit-Babbler pa Macronus ptilosus - pair in undergrowth at 2 m., along Bunker track.
Chestnut-capped Babbler dl Timalia pileata - in rich undegrowth Ho Tuyen Lam.
White-crested Laughingthrush ct Garrulax leucolophus - along first part of Bau Sau trail
Black Laughingthrush fg Garrulax lugubris
* NT Black-hooded Laughingthrush dl Garrulax milleti - best at Ta Nung valley bottom.
* White-cheeked Laughingthrush dl Garrulax vassali - large groups Di Linh and Da Lat (once 100), fast moving along bushes.
* Chestnut-capped Laughingthrush fg Garrulax mitratus
* Orange-breasted Laughingthrush dl Garrulax annamensis - group of 5 well visible and singing in Di Linh forest.
* EN Collared Laughingthrush dl Garrulax yersini - seen well in bush at eye level along road, Bidoup NP.
Silver-eared Leiothrix(Mesia) fg dl Leiothrix argentauris common at FH, also 1 at Da Lat (Ho Tuyen Lam).
* Vietnamese Cutia dl Cutia legalleni - pair foraging in lone pine tree Bidoup NP.
* White-hooded Babbler fg Gampsorhynchus rufulus - while waiting at The Gap, c. 300 m towards Raub.
Blue-winged Minla fg dl Minla cyanouroptera orientalis - near-split as no blue in wing; Bidoup NP mixed flock.
* Black-crowned Fulvetta dl Alcippe klossi - (J only) 2 low closeby but soon gone with rest of mixed flock.
Mountain Fulvetta fg dl Alcippe peracensis
* EN Grey-crowned Crocias dl Crocias langbianis - 2 in Ta Nung valley, at valley botton, high in trees, singing.
* Rufous-backed Sibia dl Heterophasia annectens - Ta Nung valley in reeds at 10 m, also foraging 1 with 1 Bl-hSibia.
* Black-headed Sibia dl Heterophasia desgodinsi - first at Di Linh, in quarry.
Long-tailed Sibia fg Heterophasia picaoides
* Black-headed Parrotbill dl Paradoxornis margaritae - sev. small groups along border of Di Linh forest.
Oriental White-eye dl Zosterops palpebrosus
Everett's White-eye fg Zosterops everetti - groups along new Road and rd from Gap to KKB.
Asian Fairy-bluebird dl Irena puella
Chestnut-vented Nuthatch dl Sitta nagaensis
* NT Yellow-billed Nuthatch dl Sitta solangiae - c. 3 seen high in trees along road Bidoup NP (better view desired).
Blue Nuthatch fg Sitta azurea - Telekom loop FH; Old Road FH, halfway.
Common Hill Myna dl Gracula religiosa - 1 in Ta Nung valley.
* Vinous-breasted Starling dl Acridotheres burmannicus - at P of Ho Tuyen Lam, adult + juv.
Black-collared Starling dl Gracupica nigricollis - 3 at first camp Ho Tuyen Lam.
* Eyebrowed Thrush fg Turdus obscurus - group of 25 along New Road c. 1 km below FH, mostly in tree tops.
* Lesser Shortwing dl Brachypteryx leucophrys - sev. heard, one seen well below us from upper trail Ta Nung.
Oriental Magpie-Robin fg ct Copsychus saularis
White-rumped Shama ct Copsychus malabaricus
NT Chestnut-naped Forktail fg Enicurus ruficapillus - 2 above The Gap along Old Road (at 1-2 km).
Slaty-backed Forktail fg Enicurus schistaceus - near the waterfall of FH
White-crowned Forktail pa Enicurus leschenaulti - near rail-babbler.
* Siberian Stonechat ct Saxicola maurus - while driving out of Cat Tien area, near Paddyf. Pipits.
Grey Bush Chat dl Saxicola ferreus
Blue Rock Thrush dl Monticola solitarius
* White-throated Rock Thrush ct,dl Monticola gularis - cracking views in open forest of Heav. Rapids track.
* Ferruginous Flycatcher fg Muscicapa ferruginea - 2 in bamboo bush halfway Old Road, at eye level.
Mugimaki Flycatcher dl Ficedula mugimaki - e.g. male at 1st camp Ho Tuyen Lam.
Taiga Flycatcher dl Ficedula albicilla
Little Pied Flycatcher fg dl Ficedula westermanni
* Blue-and-white Flycatcher ct Cyanoptila cyanomelana - Uncle Dong trail 7 m above us.
Verditer Flycatcher fg dl Eumyias thalassinus
* Hainan Blue Flycatcher ct Cyornis hainanus - near HQ office, and (singing) along H. Rapids track.
* Blue-throated Blue Flycatcher ct Cyornis rubeculoides - in bamboo area near Rapids, L and R of track.
* Rufous-browed Flycatcher fg dl Anthipes solitaris - at Y of L Maxwell rd at only 5 m.; also in Ta Nung valley Da Lat.
Large Niltava fg dl Niltava grandis
Greater Green Leafbird fg,pa Chloropsis sonnerati - e.g. along rd from Gap to KKB
NT Lesser Green Leafbird pa Chloropsis cyanopogon
Blue-winged Leafbird fg ct Chloropsis cochinchinensis
Orange-bellied Leafbird fg dl Chloropsis hardwickii - e.g. pair at Bidoup NP Da Lat.
* Yellow-breasted Flowerpecker pa Prionochilus maculatus - closeby along Bunker track.
Crimson-breasted Flowerpecker fg,pa Prionochilus percussus - e.g. 1 pair at c. Km 6 along Bunker track Panti.
* Thick-billed Flowerpecker dl Dicaeum agile - high in bare branches Ta Nung valley
Yellow-vented Flowerpecker fg Dicaeum chrysorrheum
* Orange-bellied Flowerpecker pa Dicaeum trigonostigma - closeby along Bunker track, at eye-level, great view.
Fire-breasted Flowerpecker fg dl Dicaeum ignipectus - Bidoup NP
Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker ml ct Dicaeum cruentatum - pair from platform of Crocodile Lake.
Brown-throated Sunbird ct Anthreptes malacensis
Purple-naped Sunbird ct Hypogramma hypogrammicum - along Uncle Dong trail
Olive-backed Sunbird ct Cinnyris jugularis
Mrs. Gould's Sunbird dl Aethopyga gouldiae - common in Da Lat area.
Black-throated Sunbird fg dl Aethopyga saturata - common at Fraser's Hill.
* Little Spiderhunter ct Arachnothera longirostra - best seen along H. Rapids track near falls.
Streaked Spiderhunter fg dl Arachnothera magna
Eurasian Tree Sparrow fg ct Passer montanus
White-rumped Munia dl Lonchura striata - small groups in half open areas.
Scaly-breasted Munia dl Lonchura punctulata - group of 4 at Ho Tuyen Lam.
Forest Wagtail ct Dendronanthus indicus
Grey Wagtail fg dl Motacilla cinerea
Richard's Pipit fg Anthus richardi
Paddyfield Pipit ct Anthus rufulus - 2 when driving from Cat Tien.
Olive-backed Pipit dl Anthus hodgsoni - sev. in pine woodland Da Lat area.
* NT Vietnamese Greenfinch dl Carduelis monguilloti - sev. small groups, first high in Ta Nung valley.
Red Crossbill dl Loxia curvirostra - subsp. with larger bill than in Europe, more like Parrot Crossbill.